b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Stress

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Stress
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 06:15:45 +0200

So,
1. Paragogic heh all grammars and dictionaries tell about.... does not exist
in Hebrew?
2. Either I agree with your statement about the inner structure of the second
type of Imperative or not... you do not answer to my question on the stress
place within this type of Imperatives: are they always oxytone? And if not...
which are the cases when they are paroxytone?

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Spain)

The middle vowel of the QAL imperatives forms you mention is a personal
pronoun referring the the person ordered. In this, the vowel 'I' is the
essential part of HI), and the vowel 'U' is the essential part of HU), gender
and number independently. Often 'I' is reduced to 'E', and 'U' to 'O'. Thus,
QUM = Q-HU)-M, SIM = S-HI)-M, $EB = $-HI)-B, XOG = X-HU)-G. Addressing a
woman you add for clarity of reference an extra HI) at the end to say
KUMI=K-HU)-M-HI), and addressing a group you add an extra HU) at the end to
say KUMU = K-HU)-M-HU).

Addressing an important person, and assuming a pleading attitude, an extra
reverential HI), you', is added at the end, as when the elders of Israel
respectfully and beseechingly address $MUEL by SIMAH = SIM-HI).

There is, of course, no "paragogic" letters in Hebrew words.

Isaac Fried, Boston University