b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] TORATI in Jer 31:33: Is it the Mosaic Torah?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] TORATI in Jer 31:33: Is it the Mosaic Torah?
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:33:21 -0700

Bill:

On 9/27/07, Bill Rea <bsr15 AT cantsl.it.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Karl wrote:-
>
> >Hence, this could be a new "Torah", an implication given also by the
> >immediate context.
>
> There is no suggestion that the torati is new in these verses.
> My translation:-

> The context is of a new covenant not a new torah. The difference
> is in where the torah resides. In the previous covenant it resided
> external to the house of Israel and the house of Judah as a written
> torah. In the new covenant YHWH himself will write the torah on their
> hearts.
>
> Bill Rea, ICT Services, University of Canterbury \_
> E-Mail bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz </ New
> Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /) Zealand
> Unix Systems Administrator (/'

My question: is this the same Torah? This is the reason I raised the
issue of theological vs. secular meanings of "Torah". If the
theological reading is the correct one, then yes, it is the same
Torah. If the secular meaning is what is correct, then it could very
well be a new teaching. While I am leaning towards the latter, you're
right, the theological meaning could be right. This is one where we
need to ask Jeremiah for clarification, or just say that we don't have
enough information and agree to disagree.