b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] chalal-perforate/pierce?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] chalal-perforate/pierce?
  • Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 20:56:28 -0500

Dear Shoshanna,
Dear Harold

The translations you cite are not ones that I would respect, for reasons that you all know. So let's not start an argument.

HH: You mentioned the translations, but you did not mention the interpretations. You wrote:

Anyway, it couldn't mean "pierced", because the subject is the people
of Israel, how could you pierce a collection of people?

HH: Even some Jewish interpreters have taken this to be an individual,
not the people of Israel.
http://isaiah53.com/

Midrash Cohen

ìElijah says to Messiah:îBear the suffering and punishment of thy Lord
with which he chastises thee for the sins of Israel, as it is written,
ëHe is pressed for our rebellion ñ crushed for our iniquitiesí until the
end come"

Midrash Thanhumi, Babylonian Talmud

Rabbi Nahman says, the word ìman in the passageÖrefers to the Messiah,
the son of David, as it is written, ìBehold the man whose name is Zemahî;
there Jonathan interprets, Behold the man Messiah: as it is said, ìa man
of pains and known to sickness.î

Maimonides

Regarding the mission by which Messiah will present himself, Öhe will
not commend himself to our veneration by reason of his noble extraction;
but the marvelous deeds he perform will show him to be the anticipated
MessiahÖIsaiah states, ìHe grew like a tender plant, and as a root out
of dry land, î signifying, that his exact descent will not be known,
till his successful career will direct peopleís attention to itÖBut a
noteworthy circumstance will be that crowned heads will stand amazedÖSo
they will come in utter silence, as Isaiah predicts, ìAt him will kings
shut their mouths, for what had not been told unto them shall they see,
and what they never heard they understand.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard