b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Object of "lamo" in Isaiah 53

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Object of "lamo" in Isaiah 53
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 01:13:42 -0400

Harold,

It appears to me that LA-MO is but an archaic reversed variant of LA- HEM, With O = HU replacing E = I = HI. I see the personal pronoun HEM, 'they', as the composition HEM = HIM = H-I-M including the two substantives, or markers of existence, HA and AM. The first I recognize as being the essential component of the root HYH, 'was', which is just a variant of the root XYH, 'live'. The second substantive is akin to the English 'am'. The abbreviated form -IM of HEM serves in Hebrew as the male plural indicator as in BAT-IM = BAT- HEM = 'house they' = 'houses'.
I think LAMO should be written with an O for the personal pronoun HU, and not with a W, that may be misconstrued as standing for the substantive AW-WA, corresponding to the English 'be'.
I agree with you that L-MO of Job 40:4 is not LA-MO.

Isaac Fried, Boston University