b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Object of "lamo" in Isaiah 53

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Object of "lamo" in Isaiah 53
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 10:12:19 -0700

Dear Travis:

You are right, as far as that goes. You are thinking of examples such
as Judges 1 where it is grammatically a singular use, where the verb
and any adjectives are also singular. The question as I understand it,
does the contraction LMW always refer to a plural subject?

What I object to here is that the nouns and verbs are singular, yet
Steve insists that the subjects are plural, which does not make
grammatical sense. Nor does it make contextual sense in that only the
individuals are named. Therefore to claim that it must be plural
contradicts the grammatical context which is singular, which is what I
say is adding to the text.

Karl W. Randolph.