b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Object of "lamo" in Isaiah 53

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Object of "lamo" in Isaiah 53
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 22:49:10 +0100

On 05/07/2007 19:44, K Randolph wrote:
In Isaiah 53:8 the noun "my people" is used grammatically as an
adjective, not used as a noun, hence it is not the subject of LMW. ...

Karl, "my people" is not adjectival in Hebrew, but is the absolute part of a construct chain. This may be an argument that "my people" is not necessarily the subject of LMW. But it by no means proves that it is not. There are certainly cases in the Hebrew Bible of pronouns referring back to the absolute parts of construct chains.

A better argument is that the "he" throughout this passage is the servant, and this verse is unlikely to be an exception.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org