b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Object of "lamo" in Isaiah 53

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Object of "lamo" in Isaiah 53
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 11:44:12 -0700

Vadim:

This is very definitely not the case in Genesis 9:26–27, where
grammatically the closest noun is the object, not the subject.

In Isaiah 53:8 the noun "my people" is used grammatically as an
adjective, not used as a noun, hence it is not the subject of LMW. The
next closest noun is "rebellion", prefixed with a M- in this context
meaning "because of", so it cannot be the subject of LMW.
Grammatically speaking, the subject of LMW is the "slave" who is
contextually distinct from "my people".

Karl W. Randolph.