b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: JoeWallack AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 01:22:05 -0400

Joseph,

I admire your tenacity on being so completely and wholeheartedly on the the-ists side, defending this doctrine so valiantly and persistently against the repeated onslaught of the a-ists. But to me this the/a argument is vain. It is crystal clear that HA-(ALMAH is in reference to a well known [very well known, absolutely well known?] notable person in Jerusalem at the time Isaiah spoke these words, and therefore should be translated as the-(ALMAH. Those who want to translate it, for whatever reason, as an-(ALMAH have the right to do so. It is their choice.
I am uneasy about lofty terminology and am not sure about this business of the "partial determinant of pronouns". In my opinion the entire Hebrew language consists of roots [compounds themselves of simpler single-literal roots] and personal pronouns, or identity markers. Thus HA- is HI-, 'she'. I see the issue of the "definite article" is an example of terminology assuming a life of its own---of the golem "definite" turning against its own creator.
I find it noteworthy that the English personal pronoun 'she' is considered a descendent of the ancients words 'so' and 'he', so similar to the Hebrew ZEH and HA- or HI. Also in Hebrew the personal pronoun HI is apparently but a variant of XI or XAYI, 'alive'.
As to (ALMAH, I hold it possible that it evolved from a connotation for a young woman to an honorary title, the same way the English word queen evolved from the base word gune---wife. After all (ALMAH contains an L for elevation and an M for massivity, two letters that form also the awe inspiring word (OLAM.

Isaac Fried, Boston University