b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] virgin vs. young woman

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] virgin vs. young woman
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:39:01 +0300

Dear Rev. Jim and all,

First of all, I appologize for sending my previous message off-list. This was
not intentional. This one is back on the list, and listers are invited to
read my message and Jim's reply below.

Now:

1. You (Jim) were the one who brought up the specific issue of Isaiah 7 being
a prophecy of a virgin conception (although it was implied in the "Definite
Article" thread), so you can't simply dismiss the matter. This list is a
forum for discussion, not preaching.

2. My personal religious beliefs should have absolutely nothing to do with
the way in which what I write here is received - and the same is true for
yours. This list is NOT a faith-based community, it is one of academic
scholarship.

3. I don't know what your claim to being a "native" speaker of Hebrew is
based on, but you are certainly NOT a native speaker of the dialect spoken in
Jerusalem in the late 8th century BCE. What you think the word means in the
Hebrew you speak is irrelevant. The only really relevant evidence is the
word's context in the Tanakh. Cognates in other contemporary ANE languages
are useful, but sometimes misleading. The way in which it was used or
interpreted in later tradition, including the Septuagint, the Targumim,
Rabbinic literature and early Christian literature is secondary at best. So
the fact that the LXX has "parthenos" simply means that either that's how the
translator(s) (and what do we know about them?) understood the passage, or
that the word "parthenos" had a wider semantic range in 3rd century Koine
than just "virgin" - I'm not enough of a Greek scholar to comment on that.
And I'm sure that you know that there are those who believe that the story of
the virgin conception in Matthew and Luke is based just on that - a
misunderstanding of the text of Isaiah, caused by the fact that the authors
of Mt. and Lk. were reasing the LXX and not the Hebrew (again, not my
opinion, but an idea).

4. By the way, in modern Israeli Hebrew, which is the only Hebrew anyone can
be a native speaker of, "almah" does NOT mean "virgin".

5. Sorry, Solomon's "sixty queens, eighty concubines and alamot without
number" is from Song of Songs 6:8.

I actually have more to say, but I have to get to class, after which a quick
trip to Ashkelon and from there taking a group of diggers from Gath to visit
the neighboring Tel Yarmuth. Be back in about 14 hours.

Yigal Levin