b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] virgin vs. young woman

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] virgin vs. young woman
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 17:19:07 -0700

Dear Rev. Jim Cunningham:

Let me take this opportunity to welcome you to B-Hebrew forum, and any
insights you may provide us from your study of Biblical Hebrew.

When I read your comment, my heart fell. True, many of us agree with
you in every point below, but it is such an explosive issue that we
all know about, but agree not to push in order to preserve this forum
as a forum for the discussion of the Biblical Hebrew language open to
all people, not just some. After all, those of us who have joined this
forum are educated, we have already heard the arguments pro and con,
and have made our decisions how we are to understand it.

It is like the elephant in the living room: we all know it's there,
but have agreed not to discuss it as we gingerly walk around it.

Let me add another point: as a lexicographer, I noticed that the root
(LM עלם has a meaning referring to being unknown, the opposite of
being known, i.e. sexually active c.f. Genesis 4:1. But beyond
mentioning this, I have agreed not to push it for the reasons listed
above.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph,