b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] psalm 51 and King David's sin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] psalm 51 and King David's sin
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 21:20:23 +0500

On 18/05/2007 19:41, kenneth greifer wrote:
Yigal,

I believe that King David was human and sinned like other people. I am not trying to prove that he was sinless. I just think that in this case he did not sin.

In answer to you, Kenneth, and to the Talmud, we have to read David's own words, in Psalm 51, the very psalm in our subject line, in which he clearly says several times that he did sin in this matter. Of course this identification is based on the psalm title, which specifies David as the author and that he committed adultery. But it is backed up by 2 Samuel 12:13 in which David confesses his sin. So the only way to deny that David sinned in this matter is to deny the authority of the very text which tells us the story. I wonder how the Talmud gets round this one and tries to claim that David was sinless.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org