b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] psalm 51 and King David's sin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] psalm 51 and King David's sin
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 11:57:04 +0300

Dear Kenneth and all,

Just a few thoughts on all this:

1. The identity (or ethnicity) of Uriah the Hittite is not simple: on one hand he is called a "Hittite"; on the other he has a clearly Yahwistic name. Besides his "label", there are no refferences to his being non-Israelite, and the story makes it quiet clear that he was the most loyal of David's soldiers. It is ofter assumed that he was either a "Hittite" who had "converted" to Yahwism, or an Israelite who was called "Hittite" because" of his manners, dress or whatever. In either case, Kenneth's assumption that his marriage to Bathseba was not binding would not hold.

2. Had his marriage to Bathsheba NOT been binding, there would have been no reason for David to make such efforts to cover up his deed, and Uriah would never have been killed. David could have simply announced that the marriage of Israelite Bathsehba to Hittite Uriah was not binding, and taken her.

3. Just so you know, there is a discussion in the Talmud (I don't have the precise reference at my fingertips right now) that follows a similar line: David, obviously, could not have committed adoultery. How so? becoause in ancient Israel, before soldiers went off to war, they gave their wives "conditional writs of devorce", so that if they dissappeared, their wives would be able to remarry (otherwise, with no body to prove that they were widowed, the wives are trapped as "agunot" - "anchored" to their marriages and unable to rewed). This being true, Bathsheba was actually devorced at the time when David "took" her. Now haw do we know this? Well, since David never sinned, he would not have taken Bathseba if she were married!

4. All said, I think that the simplest reading is the correct one: David sinned by taking a married woman, sinned even more when he tried to cover up his deed, was punnished by God and the repented. David is as human as any of us, and God's mercy is extended even to adaulterers and murderers, if their punishment is complete and their repentence is true.

Yigal Levin