b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] psalm 51 and King David's sin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "kenneth greifer" <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] psalm 51 and King David's sin
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 04:34:53 +0000

Bryant,

I think King David did not commit adultery because Bathsheba was not legally married to Uriah the Hittite because they were not allowed to marry Hittittes according to the commandment in Deuteronomy 7:3. They were actually supposed to kill them. I think King David sinned because he killed the Hittite for the wrong reason, he wanted his "wife" instead of killing him for being a Hittite. Maybe that is why Psalm 51:6 says it was a sin in G-d's eyes.

Also, people say that King David wanted to have Uriah go home in 2 Samuel 11:8 to be with his wife to cover up her pregnancy by David. I think he wanted Uriah to become drunk and to go home to get him away from the other soldiers, so he could have him killed. I can't prove that, but it is a possibility.

Kenneth Greifer