b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Question about Pi'el Imperfect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "<pporta AT oham.net>" <pporta AT oham.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Question about Pi'el Imperfect
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 11:59:07 -0400

Pere,

I happen to think that the business of "short" and "long" vowels is baloney, ditto "qamas gadol" and "qamas qaton", ditto Schwa mobile and Schwa quiescent. The "qamas qaton" is just a popular override of A to O. Nowadays it is indeed common practice to add a VAV as in CIYPORIYM, 'birds', $IYBOLIYM, 'ears of grain', CIYPORNAYIM, 'finger nails'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University