b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 51:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>, "Brak" <Brak AT neo.rr.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 51:6
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 12:51:31 +0200

Dear B-H listers,

I know that usually Ps 51:6 has been translated and understood as:
"I did what is evil to your eyes", ie I did a thing that you (God) consider as evil or bad.

But another possibility would be:
"I did a bad thing in front of you", ie "When I was doing the bad ing -namely, adultery-- you were looking at me" (lit. 'at your eyes'), you saw what I was doing...

Are there any reasons, syntactical or other, that support the meaning or understanding in the first place?
And if there are some, what are these reasons?

Pere Porta