b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] New or Renewed in Jeremiah 31:31?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] New or Renewed in Jeremiah 31:31?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:56:55 +0300

Dear Yohanan et al,

So? What's your (linguistic) point? Is the berit xada$ah a renewal of the old one or not? And what would Jeremiah have thought about it - which is what really matters if we wish to deal with the text and not the theology. To a Christian, Jeremiah was talking about Jesus even if he didn't know it. That's fine for Christian theology, but really irrelevant to us here. To a Orthodox reading in the rabbinic tradition, there had been only one covenant with Israel, the Sinai covenant, and since that one was (is) eternal, Jeremiah COULD NOT have meant that God would replace it with something new. That's also a theological statement. Now let's look at it from a critical point of view: was there a single, authoritive "sefer Torah" in Jeremiah's time? Maybe only Deuteronomy existed as a written document at the time? Or did the words "Torah" and "berit" have more general meanings at the time, that of keeping God's commandments in exchange for His promise of the Land? Since Israel had (mostly) broken the commandments to such an extent that they were about to lose the Land, was Jeremiah not reassuring them that all was not lost, that in the future the berit could be reinstated? Now, would the new berit be fundamentally different from the old (Christ) or a renewal of the old (Ma&iax), that's theology.

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yohanan bin-Dawidh" <yohanan.bin.dawidh AT gmail.com>