b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] New or Renewed in Jeremiah 31:31?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] New or Renewed in Jeremiah 31:31?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 11:32:02 +0300

Dear Gary and all,

I've been staying away from this thread and its offshoots, mostly because it's been the blind preaching to the deaf (in both directions). However, I want to point out that "mexuda$" is a modern Hebrew form, which does not appear in the Bible. I cannot find any place in which "xada$" definately means "renewed", but there are certainly some places in which both "new" and "renewed" would fit the context.
There is, however, the verbal form "xidde$" (piel), which definately can mean either.

The "berit xada$ah" of Jer. 31:31 can be compared to the new earth and new sky of Isaiah 65:17. Will God really abolish the existing earth and sky?

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Hedrick" <garyh AT cjfm.org>