b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] how scholars debate controversial issues

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] how scholars debate controversial issues
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 08:42:42 -0500

Rolf Furuli wrote:
I am sorry that I overlooked your question. At present I cannot give you a definite answer regarding the meaning of Greek perfect, simply because I have not analysed all the verbs of the NT, and the meaning of perfect is more complicated than in the case of the aorist. One example of this is Hebrews 11:17, where the force of the perfect is difficult. When the NIV render the perfect "offered," this is factually wrong and contradicts its rendering "was about to sacrifice".

HH: In one sense the perfect verb translation is not factually wrong, because Abraham did offer his son, but God declined the offer, even though he had commanded it, because he was only testing Abraham. So he stopped the proceedings, but Abraham passed the test and had been in the process of putting his son to death, obeying God.

The NWT is factually correct and there is no contradiction between the rendering of the two verbs, but one can discuss whether "as good as offered up" is the real force of the perfect. As for Hebrew NT´s, the UBS translation renders both Greek verbs with a QATAL, while Delitzsch´s translation renders the Greek perfect with HYH + participle, and the Greek imperfect with Hebrew YIQTOL

NIV: By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered (PERFECT) Isaac as a sacrifice. He who received the promises was about to sacrifice (IMPERFECT) his one and only son

NWT: NIV: By faith Abraham, when he was tested, as good as offered up (PERFECT) Isaac, and the man that had gladly received the promises attempted to offer up (IMPERFECT) (his) only-begotten (son).

HH: There are other theories about the perfect verb in Heb 11:17. The BAGD lexicon, under PROSFERW, indicates that the perfect in Heb 11:17 denotes what "stands written" in Scripture. They refer the reader to J. H. Moulton, A Grammar of the NT, vol. 1, Prolegomena, pp. 129, 142, 238. In spiritual terms, the act of Abraham continues to have value and exists as a spiritual feat of faith testified to by Scripture. Abraham, who still lives, has done this.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard