b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <vadimcherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 13:01:58 -0400

Vadim,

It appears to me that you you are mixing up three separate questions concerning the nature of VAYIQTAL (I prefer VAYIQTAL to VAYIQTOL since the extra O adds a slight complication that I wish to sidestep for the moment). They are:

1. Is VAYIQTAL a compound?

2. What are the components of VAYIQTAL and what is their function?

3. What is the English (or for that matter the Eskimosic) translation of the components of VAYIQTAL?

Let us sort them out.

It seems that we agree on the point that the VA of VAYIQTAL is indeed a "prefix". Hebrew in my humble opinion is not made up of abstract "affixes". This VA was once (so I fancy to "fantasize") a distinct preposition, that by fluent speech and the invention of writing became attached to the body of the next word. So what is this VA? It is a typographical variant (tricking the eye you sly writer of Hebrew!) of the existence marker BA, which corresponds to the English 'be'. By the way, the Hebrew AZ corresponds to the English 'is'.

I go even farther to claim that the YI of VAYIQTAL is a second "prefix". What is it? It is the personal pronoun HI, English 'he', standing for the perpetrator of the act QTL. The letter A is just a puff of air. How do I know this? Because it can not be otherwise. The letter Y is not a radical and not an auxiliary, so by default it must be a personal pronoun. That's all there is to the language; Hebrew (as distinct from Russian, etc.) consists of existence markers, that add up to roots, and identity markers, or personal pronouns, nothing less, nothing more. Hence VAYIQTAL = BA-HI-QTL. Where did I see all this? Well, I have been looking at Hebrew long and intently with my keenest inner eye.

I repeat what I said before; seeing VAYIQTAL as VA+YIQTAL is an optical illusion.

Now to the translation. When we come to translate a Hebrew word into a foreign language we usually have at our disposal a pool of candidate words from which to chose the substitute. The American Heritage Dictionary defines 'and' as: "Together with or along with; further in the same manner; in addition to; as well as. Used to connect words, phrases, or clauses that have the same grammatical function in a construction". It defines 'then" as: "At that time, Next in time, space, or order; immediately afterward; In addition; moreover; besides". What is wrong in this as an English substitute for BA? Does it make sense that the book of Leviticus should start with an 'and'? 'And' to what?!

If not for the word BERESHIT, 'in the beginning', the Torah would have started with VAYIBRA.

Isaac Fried, Boston University