b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 00:51:39 +0000

On 17/03/2007 17:28, Vadim Cherny wrote:

Similarly, weqatal is often employed superficially as future reference. But
that occurs predominantly in prophetic visions. Prophets relate the visions
which had already occurred to them, which they had fully seen. The action
is, indeed, past to them - and they employ the past tense, wecatav means
"and he wrote." The event is still in the future for listeners, but past,
occurred for the prophet.

I understand what you are saying for WAYYIQTOL and I see some sense in it, i.e. if the deictic centre is fixed at the first event in a chain of consecutive events, the events after the first are relative future. But this doesn't work with WEQATAL in passages like Exodus 25-30, compare with Exodus 36-39, where WEQATAL also gives a chain of events which are future relative to the first event in the chain - which is given with jussive YIQTOL.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org