b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect (was Tenses - Deut 6:4)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect (was Tenses - Deut 6:4)
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 19:40:08 +1100

Hi Karl,

Are not the verbs occurring with machar in the verses you cite participles?

Sure some of the adverbs are infrequent, but their verbal restrictions do still count against an aspect-prominent analysis. This combined with the other features of the language I listed in another post to you convinces me as to the validity of the tense-prominent position. But if you go for aspect-prominent, every feature I raised has to be dealt with. With the cooccuring features of the language I raised, I'm personally more inclined to view the adverbial verbal distribution as something more than happenstance, i.e. the distribution is expected if the language is tense-prominent, but not predictable if aspect-prominent.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

Dear David:

On 3/14/07, David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
>/
/>/ I raised the point that the same distributional situation applies in BH:
/>/ 'ethmol and 'emesh are restricted to qatal and machar is restricted to
/>/ yiqtol. My take is that these are tense restrictions: 'ethmol and 'emesh
/>/ like English "yesterday" select the past tense while machar like English
/>/ "tomorrow" selects the future tense. But given that you reject a
/>/ tense-prominent analysis, what is your explanation of this
/>/ distributional verbal restriction with temporal adverbs?
/>/
/>/ Regards,
/>/ David Kummerow.
/>/
/'Ethmol and 'emesh together are used only about 13 times: isn't that
sample small enough that they are used only with qatal (or wayyiqtol)
merely a function of chance?

Machar is used more often (about 52 times), usually referring to the
future. However, there are times, like Exodus 17:9, Joshua 11:6 and
possibly other times where it is used with a qatal.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.