b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 19:28:47 +0200

Thank you, Rolf. Deictic center shift, as I mean it, describes relative
tense. That is, I agree, an aspectual property.

In other words:

yiqtol is plain future tense, always, with no exceptions.
qatal is plain past tense - again, no exceptions.

wayiqtol means "and + yiqtol". For example, wayyomer is "and he would say."
Similarly, weqatal means "and + qatal".

All verb forms could be employed with non-standard time reference - indeed,
an aspectual usage. But even in non-standard time reference, the verbs still
retain the correct tenses.

Returning to the example of wayyomer, "and he would say" construct refers to
the past events. Superficially, that makes wayyiqtol an aspect. But look
closer. The narrator actually employs wayyomer as future tense - but from
the shifted deicted center. The narrator is immersed into the recited
events. He moves with the timeline of his recital. For the narrator, the
words after wayyomer are not yet pronounced, but remain in future. He indeed
means, "and he would say." The narrator uses wayyomer as future tense.
Note that yiqtols are rarely used for past reference, but mostly wayiqtols.
That's extremely characteristic of recital. "And" is commonly inserted
specifically in recitals. Recall how often, for example, "and + verb" is
used in the Gospel of Mark.
I realize that such deictic center shifts are uncommon in English, and
that's why perhaps it's hard for English-speaking scholars to accept my
hypothesis. That shift, however, is extremely common in old Russian which is
why I always found it completely natural to read Hebrew precisely, "and he
would say."

Similarly, weqatal is often employed superficially as future reference. But
that occurs predominantly in prophetic visions. Prophets relate the visions
which had already occurred to them, which they had fully seen. The action
is, indeed, past to them - and they employ the past tense, wecatav means
"and he wrote." The event is still in the future for listeners, but past,
occurred for the prophet.

I would appreciate your comments.

Best,
Vadim Cherny