b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect (was Tenses - Deut 6:4)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect (was Tenses - Deut 6:4)
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:18:37 +0000

On 16/03/2007 07:47, Rolf Furuli wrote:

For example, in Genesis 30:33, Exodus 19:10, 1 Samuel 11:10 and 20:18 a QATAL with prefixed WAW (WEQATAL) is used with MXR. I take these as perfective, but you do not accept this. ...

I'm not sure what David has said on this one. But if he is basically supporting the four or five conjugation model, that does not imply that he understands WEQATAL as not perfective. It is logically possible and indeed makes quite a lot of sense for it to be non-past but perfective. This is for example consistent with the usage in Exodus 25-30, where it may also have a modal sense, whereas the corresponding clauses in Exodus 36-39 use narrative WAYYIQTOL in a way which is usually understood to be perfective. Of course this is not what a crude "vav conversive" type understanding might suggest, but as I mentioned before no one really accepts that at least today.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org