b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Kush

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Kush
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 06:13:16 +0200

Yohanan,

The Bible does not say that "Mizraim" is what we call "Egypt" or that "Aram"
is what we call "Syria". But they are. We know this both from tradition, and
by looking at the context in which they appear. The same is true of "Kush".
As far as Nimrod, there have been lots of theories about why a "Kushite" king
is said to be ruler of Mesopotamia. My theory, which you can read in my
"Nimrod the Mighty, King of Kish, King of Sumer and Akkad", Vetus Testementum
52 (2002), 350-366, is that "Nimrod" is a reflection of the empire of Sargon
of Akkad and his grandson Naram-sin, which would make "Kush" father of
"Nimrod" to actually be the city of Kish, where Sargon began his career. This
was later misunderstood by the editor of Gen. 10 to be a reference to "Kush",
son of Ham.

Yigal Levin