b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Kush

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Yohanan bin-Dawidh <yohanan.bin.dawidh AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Kush
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 02:06:01 -0400

yohanan,

It appears to me that KUSH is but a variant of GUSH, 'clod, lump, mass' (see Job 7:5), and may thus refer to any mountainous region, such as Ethiopia, Afghanistan, etc. It is also related to the roots KSH, Q$H, 'thick, heavy, huge, hard" (see Deuteronomy 32:15), and hence KUSHI may also mean a heavy-set, large-bodied, or strong- bodied, man.

I believe the land of Goshen (=Gushen?) to be likewise situated in a mountainous area.

Isaac Fried, Boston University