b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Kush

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Kush
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:58:53 -0700

Yohanan:

Your list is true, for about 4,000 years ago. But what it does not
take into account is what happened afterwards. Peoples die out,
assimilate, migrate, so what was true at one time may no longer be
true at a later date.

Later references to Cush as a geographic locality referred to Africa
south of Egypt, without specifying where the borders were nor how far
south. Traditionally it has been translated as "Ethiopia" but you are
right, that is not really the most accurate.

By the way, Genesis lists Babylon as the place where all peoples
migrated from, and though it was founded by a Cushite, there is no
record that it remained a Cushite city state.

Karl W. Randolph.