b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Question for Rolf on the JW outlook on the Hebrew verbal system

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: MarjorieAlley AT cs.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Question for Rolf on the JW outlook on the Hebrew verbal system
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 23:56:47 -0400

Marjorie,

The New World Translation renders Genesis 1:5 as: "And God began calling the light Day, but the darkness he called Night." To be faithful to the Hebrew I would translate it as: "Then He called, God, to the light Day, and to the darkness called Night." There is a personal pronoun (YI) squeezed after the VA of VAYIKRA, 'then he called', but none preceding the second KARA, 'called'. Of course, in order to avoid a too atrocious English I am using "called" where the Hebrew has "call" only.

The KJV has Genesis 1:5 as: "And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night."

Isaac Fried, Boston University