b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Kush

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <george.athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Kush
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 11:32:14 +1100

Hi Isaac!

> It appears to me that KUSH is but a variant of GUSH, 'clod, lump,
> mass' (see Job 7:5), and may thus refer to any mountainous region...

What exactly is the connection that brings KUSH and GUSH together? The
reasoning here appears to me to be somewhat random.

> I believe the land of Goshen (=Gushen?) to be likewise situated in a
> mountainous area.

Actually, conventional wisdom says quite the opposite. Goshen is generally
identified as a region in the N/E Nile Delta region -- very flat land.

Best Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Moore Theological College (Sydney)
1 King St, Newtown, NSW 2042, Australia