b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Son of man vs. Enosh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tory Thorpe <torythrp AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Son of man vs. Enosh
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 16:38:15 -0800 (PST)

The JPS is not the _only_ Jewish translation into English that renders
"huxal" at Gen. 4:26 as "began". Sorry, if I gave that impression by
citing the Stone Chumash. I do not think, however, mainline translation
is an accurate way to describe the JPS, certainly not in the orthodox
community. R. Simon, in Midrash Rabbah, does not translate the passage;
he attempts explain it because "huxal" is ambiguous at this point.

Tory Thorpe

Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com> wrote: Tory Thorpe wrote:
> I'm very aware of the limitations of the Stone edition, but as far as
> "standard"
> translations go, I offered it to offset a notion that Christian
> translations (NIV,
> KJV, RSV, etc.) are the standard.

HH: Here's the JPS:

4:26 And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his
name Enosh; then began men to call upon the name of the Lord.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard