b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Son of man vs. Enosh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tory Thorpe <torythrp AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Son of man vs. Enosh
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 13:34:13 -0800 (PST)

Here's another. From the Stone Edition of the Chumash (ArtScroll Series):

"And as for Seth, to him also a son was born, and he named him Enosh. Then to
call in the Name of Hashem became profaned."

Tory Thorpe

Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com> wrote: davidfentonism AT aim.com wrote:
> I'm not sure what "line" you refer to. My inquiry is earnest and if
> you have a direction in which you suggest I go, it would be
> appreciated. Even better, what do you say the verse is saying in light
> of my original question?

HH: The line is the slant you are trying to give the verse. What the
verse is saying is what the standard translations say it is saying. I
have never seen an alternative in any major published translation. Do
you have an alternative example to offer? You don't seem to understand
Hebrew. Just stick with the major translations and commentaries
available. They are reliable. Sometimes there is disagreement among
them, and those are cases for closer investigation. This is not one of
them, as far as I know. Are you translating the verse without recourse
to standard translations? Here are a few:

KJV: Gen. 4:26 And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he
called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD.

NRSV: Gen. 4:26 To Seth also a son was born, and he named him Enosh. At
that time people began to invoke the name of the LORD.

NIV: Gen. 4:26 Seth also had a son, and he named him Enosh. At that
time men began to call on the name of the LORD.

HCSB: Gen. 4:26 A son was born to Seth also, and he named him Enosh. At
that time people began to call on the name of the Lord.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard