b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Son of man vs. Enosh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Tory Thorpe <torythrp AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Son of man vs. Enosh
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 00:38:45 -0500

I can’t read your Hebrew, but I get the gist of what you are saying. I agree that ENOSH as used in the latter books means ‘man’, in the same way that I agree that SHET means ‘buttocks’. Biblical names are not what they seem to be, and this appears to me to be the reason the Bible spends so much time trying to explain their etymology, starting with ADAM and EVE.
The Rambam (as well as Rashi) see clearly the challenge of connecting the facts of SHET calling his son ENOSH, and men starting to call (what or why?) by (in?) the name of God.
BDB is good as translator, but I find his etymologies whimsical.
Isaac Fried, Boston University