b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Son of man vs. Enosh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Son of man vs. Enosh
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 23:05:18 -0500

The interpretation of the name ENOSH as ‘man’ comes from two sources: first, from the plural אנשים (ANASHIM) ‘men’ of איש (ISH) ‘man’, and נשים (NASHIM), ‘women’ of אשה (ISHA) ‘woman’, and second from the root אנש (ANASH) ‘to be weak'. Thus, ENOSH of Isaiah 13:12 is not necessarily ENOSH of Genesis 4:26, the same way that SHET of Genesis 4:26 is not the same as SHET 'buttocks' of Isaiah 20:4. As far as BDB is concerned, it is not our אורים ותומים.
Isaac Fried, Boston University