b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Capernaum

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peter AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Capernaum
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 07:59:08 -0800

Peter:

On 11/30/06, Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org> wrote:
On 30/11/2006 12:27, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

>>> Actually, it is behind a "firewall" to keep the academician in business.
>>>

>> LOL! The firewall that stopped me did not give me the option of buying
>> a copy. Anyways, the academician already has his salary.
>>

> Try clicking on "Full PDF". It quoted me a price of $23. If this
> article didn't
> involve what appears to me to be a relatively insignificant issue, I might
> have been of more help.

But by charging what seems to me a deliberately prohibitive amount to
casual purchasers, they suggest to me either that they are financially
incompetent or that their real motivation is something more like what
Karl alleged. In fact more probably they are trying to encourage regular
rather than one-off subscribers, for (from
http://www.oxfordjournals.org/theolj/access_purchase/price_list.html)
they charge only $78 for an annual subscription including online access
presumably to the whole journal series.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org

This is something strange. Both URLs to the article, both yours and
Yitzhak's, dumped me onto the same page that simply asked for my
academic ID and password, giving me no other options. Not even the
option of purchase.

I have noticed that about a third to half the articles referenced on
this list pass me onto that same page, this is the first time I said
anything about it. It is effective censorship, restricting who has
access to scholarship.