b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Capernaum

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Capernaum
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:16:34 -0800

On 11/29/06, Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com> wrote:
On 11/29/06, K Randolph wrote:
> > If you look up the following article:
> > F. C. B. CAPERNAUM, CAPHARNAUM J Theol Studies 1933 os-XXXIV: 385-390
> > http://jts.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/citation/os-XXXIV/136/385
> >

> Another article behind a firewall to keep the non-academician out.

Actually, it is behind a "firewall" to keep the academician in business.

LOL! The firewall that stopped me did not give me the option of buying
a copy. Anyways, the academician already has his salary.

You could buy a per article view. But in any case, is it really that
big an issue for the discussion? You can accept that Capharnaum is the
more correct spelling. Also, since the matter of interest is the k-p at the
beginning of the word, it matters less if it is Capernaum or Capharnaum
because both have an initial -a- vowel.

No, I want to see the nature of the evidence. It may be disputable for
good reasons, as is some of the other evidence adduced in the past.

Yitzhak Sapir