b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Capernaum

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Capernaum
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:12:33 +0000

On 30/11/2006 12:27, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
On 11/30/06, K Randolph wrote:

http://jts.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/citation/os-XXXIV/136/385

Another article behind a firewall to keep the non-academician out.
Actually, it is behind a "firewall" to keep the academician in business.

LOL! The firewall that stopped me did not give me the option of buying
a copy. Anyways, the academician already has his salary.

Try clicking on "Full PDF". It quoted me a price of $23. If this
article didn't
involve what appears to me to be a relatively insignificant issue, I might
have been of more help.

If these guys are really in it for the money, it might be worth their while to learn some elementary economics. If they charge $23 for a six page article which is more than 70 years old, they will surely get very few takers. If instead they charged only $2.30, I suspect that they would get not just ten but fifty times more buyers. And, since their overheads per sale are probably quite low, their income would be much increased - and as a side effect scholarship would benefit significantly.

But by charging what seems to me a deliberately prohibitive amount to casual purchasers, they suggest to me either that they are financially incompetent or that their real motivation is something more like what Karl alleged. In fact more probably they are trying to encourage regular rather than one-off subscribers, for (from http://www.oxfordjournals.org/theolj/access_purchase/price_list.html) they charge only $78 for an annual subscription including online access presumably to the whole journal series.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org