b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Use of Gentile/Heathen People or nation?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Seth Knorr <ftbaccounts AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Use of Gentile/Heathen People or nation?
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 08:43:34 -0700 (PDT)

My question is in regards to "am" (cf. Daniel 8:24) and "goee" (cf. Leviticus
25:44).

These both seem to denote people or nation.

However, in the KJV "am" is generally translated as (men, nation, people),
where as "goee" in the KJV is generally translated as (Gentile, heathen,
nation, people).

In the Tenach I read, "goee" is almost always translated generically and as
far as I saw, is never translated Gentile or heathen.

Is the KJV adding to the meaning of "goee" when it uses words like "Gentile"
or "Heathen"? Or is the meaning based solely on the context.

My main question is this, is "am" generally in reference to Israel, where as
"goee" is generally used in reference to non-Israelites or gentiles. Is this
correct or wrong?

It seems like that is generally the case, but is this just a coincidence or
on purpose?

Thanks for any feedback,

Sincerely,

Seth Knorr