b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Use of Gentile/Heathen People or nation?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Use of Gentile/Heathen People or nation?
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 09:59:43 -0700

Seth:

GWY refers to a nation as a body politic, used of Israel as well, e.g.
Exodus 19:5. In the plural and in context, because Israel was one
nation, it refers either to all nations or to the nations other than
Israel (context tells the difference).

(M refers to a people as what we today would call an ethnic grouping.

I hope this helps.

Karl W. Randolph.