b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YaLaD - he begot, has begotton

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Chris and Nel <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YaLaD - he begot, has begotton
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 15:29:57 +0500

On 04/10/2006 23:56, Chris and Nel wrote:
Hallo,

YeLiDTiCHa (Psalm 2:7)

This is not a stative verb by definition, yet it behaves like one in
conjugation with suffixes, its hireq under the second root letter shortened
from sere, a middle E or O in the qal being intransitive by nature..
(according to both Davies and Samuel Tragelles quoting on gesenius, who says
that there is no need for this). Why was this verb then so pronounced, so pointed by the masoretes instead of say like the verb YeDaTiCHa (I know you)? I see no reason
for the logic in the deviation from the expected pronounciation.

This looks an interesting case. Numbers 11:12 is similar, but the other 3 examples of YLD qal perfect first person singular have the expected A vowel. What is odd about Psalm 2:7 and Numbers 11:12 is that the subject is male. Normally when the subject is a father rather than a mother YLD is used in the hiphil, which would the I vowel in the second syllable, but an O vowel in the first syllable. I wonder if this odd form is some kind of cross between qal and hiphil, introduced perhaps to avoid the strange idea of a male mother?

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org