b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gesenius on Femininity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gesenius on Femininity
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 14:04:41 -0700

Chris:

I will back up Peter.

I have uncovered patterns explaining why some nouns are feminine, but
in many cases the gender of a noun is just arbitrary, often just
because a noun has a certain form will determine its gender
irrespective of its meaning.

In the case of TWRH, it is from the same root as the verb YRH which
means to shoot out teachings, ideas, rain, projectiles, and anything
that can be shot out. TWRH is a regular development of a peh-yod root,
but with a heh as a final, which usually denotes a feminine gender.
Thus the fact that TWRH is feminine can be explained as a grammatical
structure, nothing more.

Karl W. Randolph.