b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gesenius on Femininity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "Chris and Nel" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>, "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gesenius on Femininity
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 20:44:53 +0300

Torah is from tur, to instruct, admonish. Suffix hey is not feminine, but
the suffix of result, such as in cotev - ctivah. Thus Torah - instruction,
admonition.
You can see other examples at
http://vadimcherny.org/hebrew/affix_hey_direction.htm
Basically, there are several different suffixes hey, and they have nothing
to do with feminine.

Vadim Cherny