b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gesenius on Femininity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Chris and Nel <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gesenius on Femininity
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 13:58:44 +0100

On 23/09/2006 19:39, Chris and Nel wrote:
Gesenius makes some interesting observations about the purpose of a noun being in the feminine: "Indication of the gender of the noun" page 411 (1898 edition).

This got me thinking about a few words that had no apparent reason for being in the feminine. One such word was the obvious -- Torah. And so I wonder whether there would be agreement to the following 'idea' (based on Gesenius's reasoning) that while this concept was masterful, strong, dominant and hence a masculine ideal; it is rather by absolute contrast a productive, sustaining, nourishing concept! and hence feminine. (All this assuming that Torah is understood along the lines that it means nore teaching and guiding and instruction rather than the negative concept of 'Law' as assumed in some circles)

What are your thoughts on this?

This is not how language works. In any language with grammatical gender, the gender of many nouns is entirely arbitrary and no significance can be derived from it at all.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org