b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 11:22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 11:22
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 21:26:17 -0700

Dear Peter:

When I was in school, the Roman dates were singled out as some in
question. In Luke's day, there was no question, but as far as I know,
today we do not have the court records to verify the scholarly
consensus. For the most part, if we are within a decade, that's close
enough.

Wikipedia, where there is an academic consensus, is particularly poor
as a source for a full range of information on a subject.

Karl W. Randolph.

On 9/7/06, Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org> wrote:
On 07/09/2006 03:16, K Randolph wrote:
> When did Jesus live? There is still question of the exact years. ...
>
> Now the picture I get from the New Testament is that Jesus was killed
> shortly after Pilate arrived in Judea, probably a few months to almost
> a year. ... Add to the mix the
> uncertainty of dates as correlated to our modern calendar, and we have
> the possibility that Jesus was killed in 23 AD or thereabouts.

Luke 3:1 clearly states that John the Baptist started his ministry in
the 15th year of Tiberius Caesar. Tiberius came to the throne in 14 AD
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiberius) and so his 15th year was 28
or 29 AD. Tiberius' dates are fixed by the Roman calendar whose relation
to the Christian one is clearly known. And the New Testament shows Jesus
following John. So there is no way that Jesus could have been killed as
early as 23 AD.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org