b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 11:22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 11:22
  • Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 10:52:23 +0100

On 07/09/2006 03:16, K Randolph wrote:
When did Jesus live? There is still question of the exact years. ...

Now the picture I get from the New Testament is that Jesus was killed
shortly after Pilate arrived in Judea, probably a few months to almost
a year. ... Add to the mix the
uncertainty of dates as correlated to our modern calendar, and we have
the possibility that Jesus was killed in 23 AD or thereabouts.

Luke 3:1 clearly states that John the Baptist started his ministry in the 15th year of Tiberius Caesar. Tiberius came to the throne in 14 AD (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiberius) and so his 15th year was 28 or 29 AD. Tiberius' dates are fixed by the Roman calendar whose relation to the Christian one is clearly known. And the New Testament shows Jesus following John. So there is no way that Jesus could have been killed as early as 23 AD.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org