b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 11:22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 11:22
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:02:50 -0500

Shoshanna Walker wrote:

Dear Harold:

We DON'T have a concept about someone being AGAINST Mashiach or who imitates Mashiach as a pretender - that is a CHRISTIAN concept.

And we don't use the English word Christ

And this passage is not about Mashiach

HH: Right, I agree that Dan 11:22 is not about Mashiach. But whether you use the English word Christ is not important because people in the first century did use the Greek equivalent, and the idea of someone being a pretend-Messiah or an anti-Messiah is easy to understand. You're right that the concept is not taught plainly in the OT, but it is discernible. The beast of Daniel 7 is a world ruler who speaks great things against God. He is replaced by a world kingdom that is from God, whose ruler is shown in Dan 7:13-14. Many believe that person in Dan 7:13 is the Messiah.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

Shoshanna

HH: You may not realize this, but Christ is the English form of the
Greek word Cristos, which means "anointed one" and is the Greek
equivalent of Messiah (meshiach). The antichrist is the one is who is
against Christ, or who imitates Christ as a pretender.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

.