b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 11:22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Harold Holmyard" <hholmyard AT ont.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 11:22
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:20:10 -0700

Harold,

Mashiach is not used here in this verse. In fact, the sequence of events
promulgated by Daniel, ca. 640-630 BCE, is such that it describes the
conflict between the Ptolmeys and the Seleucids after the division of the
Empire of Alexander the Great (11:1-4). Judea was between a rock and a hard
place as the Ptolmeys and the Seleucids fought over control of the land.
Eventually, Antiochus III won out ca. 193 BCE. The rest they say is history.
I would recommend I Maccabbees and Josephus to be read in conjunction with
Daniel 11. It is most illuminating. Furthermore, it appears that Rome got
involved, when the "ships of Kittim" (KJV), "ships of the western
coastlands," (NIV-with note Hebrew- of Kittim) in 11:30. Thus, the "prince
of the covenant" would not be the Mashiach. The Hebrew reads, "begid berit",
LXX, "hGOUMENOS DIAQHKHS." BTW, eventually the Roman , Gnaeus Pompeii
Magnus, took over control of the land in 64 BCE. This brought to the
forefront Antigonus, father of Phasallus and Herod (later known as the
Great). We all know what happened after that.

En Xristwi,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III