b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 11:22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 11:22
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:58:14 -0500

Dear Shoshanna,

NONE of these verses refer to any "anti-christ" - which is a foreign concept after all, if this were a Christian book, the rabbis would not have included it in our Tanach.

Verse 22 refers to the covenant that the Jews made with the Romans - ie; they will also be crushed by them - this does not refer to Mashiach.

Verse 21 refers to the Roman Empire, not to an "anti- christ" ("contemptible one" = Roman empire)

Verse 20: The Hashmonean Dynasty will succeed Antiochus in Jerusalem, but it will eventually fall as a result of a battle of succession between the two brothers, Aristobulos and Hyrcanus.

Verse 23: By signing a "holy covenant" of friendship (see verses 28, 30) with the Hashmoneans, Rome will be able to conquer the countries surrounding the Land of Israel without fear of Hashmonean Intervention.

PLEASE don't put foreign doctrine into our scripture, where it does not exist.

HH: You may not realize this, but Christ is the English form of the Greek word Cristos, which means "anointed one" and is the Greek equivalent of Messiah (meshiach). The antichrist is the one is who is against Christ, or who imitates Christ as a pretender.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard