b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] PS Re: Daniel 11:22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] PS Re: Daniel 11:22
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 11:18:32 +0100

On 30/08/2006 03:29, Shoshanna Walker wrote:
There IS NO Greek equivalent of Mashiach.

The LXX translators did not agree with you when for example in Psalm 2:2 they translated Mashiach as Christos. The same word is used in the quotation in Acts 4:26, tending to confirm that this is a per-Christian usage. I strongly suspect that Christos is used for the Messiah in certainly pre-Christian Greek works e.g. at Qumran, but I don't have the proof at hand.

They don't attribute the same meaning to the concept that we do.

They don't understand OUR concept of Mashiach.

Who are the "they" you are referring to here? This may be true of some Christians, but don't assume it is true of all. I would hope that Christians aim to understand the Jewish concept of the Messiah as clearly as possible. We do hold that Jesus of Nazareth fulfilled that role. That does not, or should not, imply that we read the entire Christian doctrine of Christ back into the Jewish concept of the Messiah. Nor of course would we take later Rabbinical interpretations as authoritative. But it would be wrong to read Christian understandings back into the Hebrew Bible concept of the Messiah.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org