b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Tehom: Divine or Not Divine?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <george.athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "'K Randolph'" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Tehom: Divine or Not Divine?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:51:14 +1000

Yes, Karl Randolph is right. It would be best if we considered how THWM (or,
Tehom) is used elsewhere in the Hebrew Bible. However, at the same time, we
must allow each occurrence to have the nuance it has.

When we do look beyond Gen 1.2, we see that THWM is often used in opposing
parallelism with $MYM ('heavens'). Since the heavens do no seem to be divine
in Genesis, or elsewhere in the Hebrew Bible, it's reasonable to propose
that THWM is not seen as a divine being, but rather is a label to describe
the depths of the earth/oceans.

At the same time, we must recognise that in Gen 1 we have an ancient
cosmology. The juxtaposition of this account with other creation accounts
which do present THWM as divine is quite telling. That is, when Gen 1 is
contextualised in its own world, things jump out at us. Gen 1 could have
used the word YaM ('sea'), which is also divinised in other cultures (eg,
Ugaritic), but the author of Gen 1 chose THWM. This juxtaposes directly with
the THWM or Tiamat who is slain in a cosmic creative act in other ancient
creation accounts. There seems to be a deliberate connection. Furthermore,
since there is no parallelism in Gen 1.2 to oppose THWM with $MYM, it seems
reasonable to suggest that Gen 1 has deliberately chosen the word THWM to
present a specifically non-divine THWM which is nothing more than a "depth".
Thus, one is struck by the very non-conventional (from the point of view of
the ANE) creation account in which only one deity features. Thus, the THWM
is not slain, as though it were a living being, but is rather 'separated' as
a simple physical mass.

We should also mention the astral bodies, whose overt labels are
deliberately eschewed in Gen 1. They are not referred to as Sun, Moon, and
the names of the various stars, all of which would have been recognised as
divinities in various ANE cultures. In Gen 1 they are simply "the larger
luminary", "the smaller luminary" and the "stars" (Gen 1.16). This
de-personalisation means their 'rule' or 'domination' of the day and night
(Gen 1.18) cannot be understood as the act of a deity, but rather the
automated functions of created masses within a larger cosmos.

In short, it's as though the other deities which abounded in the other
creation accounts of the ANE have been deliberately frozen as inanimate in
the account of Gen 1. As inanimates, they serve as foils to reflect the
activity, initiative, creativity and sovereignty of a singular ELOHIM
("God").

Best Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Moore Theological College