b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Circularity and other issues of logic

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.apu.ac.uk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Circularity and other issues of logic
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 01:04:07 +0100

> Another problem with responding to Karl and James is arguments
> such as the following:
>
> > > Gen 49:25 The parallelism $mym/thwm immediately
> > > follows )l )byk/$dy, which is clearly a divine
> > >
> > ...not!
>
> I don't know where or how to start? Shaday and )el )abika are
> definitely divine. At least, I think so. So how do I respond?
> "..is too!"? This may be seen as an extreme case of arguing
> without specific evidence.

Karl:
format, $MYM and THWM are not in parallel with $DY and )L, rather the
sentence structure puts them in the object phrases of the verb, while
$DY and )L are the subject. Not parallel at all. If you want to
divinize heavens and depths, then to be consistent you need to
divinize breasts and womb, in the same verse.

JCR: I see a parallel but it has nothing to do with
divinities. The parallel is between locations. The
heavens above are paralleled with a woman's breasts
which are also above. The depth below is paralleled
with a woman's 'womb' [cough]sanitised translation[/cough]
which is also below. It seems that men's anatomical
interests haven't changed much in the last 4,000 years
;-)

James C. Read
UK