b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tehom: Divine or Not Divine?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Revdpickrel AT wmconnect.com
  • To: yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tehom: Divine or Not Divine?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:53:41 EDT

In a message dated 7/13/2006 12:41:39 AM Central Daylight Time,
yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com writes:

> On 7/13/06, K Randolph wrote:
> [...]
> >> While $amayim may usually used as a natural
> > > term, examples such as Job 28:12-13 suggest that a
> > > parallelism with $mym does not deny the meaning as the
> > > great Chaotic Sea god that God vanquished in bringing
> > > order to the world.
> > >
> > For crying out loud, Job is poetry. Even in poetry, there is
> > absolutely no reference to God vanquishing the deep, rather the
> > subject of this passage is where wisdom comes from. This
> > anthropomorphizing the deep is no different than saying that the trees
> > clap their hands in joy (Isaiah 55:12). By the way, you got the verse
> > numbers wrong.
>
> While I consider my reply to Karl and James, I just wanted to point
> out that Karl is absolutely right on this last sentence. Job 26:12-13 is
> intended. Sorry for the confusion.
>
> Yitzhak Sapir

I am easily confused, and you guys have confused the daylights out of me.
Are you talking about "Rahab" and "Leviathan." I'm surprised if you are;
Rahab
is the ancient name for Egypt, and "Leviathan" is the antiquity name for
Satan, the twisted serpent that God cut his heads off and placed them in the
deep.
By the way, "Leviathan" means, "the one who live among the sea of humanity."

Doug.
Rev. Doug Pickrel, Litt.D.
Tejas Valley
San Antonio, Texas